When heading off for a hike in Hong Kong it is always best to have prepared the day before to be sure that you have everything that you need for the journey.
Preparing for the Hike
- Always be familiar with the route that you plan to take as well as your fitness level to be sure that you are capable to complete the hike. Buy a Hong Kong hiking map.
- It is always best to head out with an experienced hiker, should anything go wrong. Going out with someone who has first-aid training would be best. It is always best to go out with a group of people.
- Before heading off, be sure to let someone know where you plan to go, who you are going with and how long to plan on taking, as well as what time you plan to leave.
- Be aware of your own health condition. If you have a serious health condition it is best to check with your doctor if it is safe to go out hiking.
- Check the weather and be prepared accordingly.
- Charge your mobile the day before. Be sure that it has full battery power.
- Get plenty of sleep and eat well the night before the hike.
What You Should Take on Your Hike
- Know the hiking trail you are taking and wear clothing that is suitable for that hiking trail. If there is lots of dense scrub that could cause abrasions, it is best to wear long pants to protect your legs. If the hiking trail is very rugged, it is best to wear good quality hiking shoes that protect your ankles and provide suffiecient grip for the conditions.
- If it is hot, take a hat to protect from sunstroke.
- On that note, some sunscreen to protect yourself from sun burn is advised.
- Take along adequate food and drink depending on the weather conditions and the length of the hike. When it is hot I generally try to take one litre of water for every hour that I will be hiking. It is always good to take some extra food/water than you will need just in case.
- When I head out I always take a small first aid kit with me. Even if you don’t know how to use it, it is best to be prepared, as quite often it won’t be you who is using it if you are the one who is injured.
- Take a map with you, Hong Kong Countryside Series Maps. Buy them via our website for HK$85 each.
General Hiking Precautions
- Try to stick to the trails. Avoid hiking in dense undergrowth where snakes and spiders reside.
- Don’t eat any wild fruit or drink from streams.
- Stay away from any wild animals.
Other Useful Hiking Tips
- Take a roll of toilet paper. Hiking stimulates the bowels and a leaf doesn’t really do the trick. Toilet paper is much more convenient…
- Don’t listen to your mp3 player. It is always best to be fully alert and listen to your surroundings.
- Put your mobile in a zip lock bag or sealable container to protect it against the rain.